3.12.2010

English Dinosaurs

Earlier this week I had the strangest experience of my life: my first day of language school. I don’t know if I can even accurately describe how strange it was for me. I was sitting in a room with lots of strangers from all over the world. I heard a Ukrainian and a Dutch woman have a conversation in English. I spoke with a man from Berlin. I met other Americans living in Naples. Belgium, Brazil, Japan, the UK, New Zealand, Uganda, and many other countries were represented. It was such a weird feeling to be in that room and hear so many different accents.

I had my first real conversation in Italian this week as well. It wasn’t about anything important, but it was a big deal for me. I mean, the grammar structure was probably terrible, but hey, it was a conversation. The fact that I can now sometimes understand what people are saying to me is huge. Unless you have experienced it yourself, you have no idea how frustrating it is to not be able to understand anyone.

I love love love love love teaching ESL. I am falling in love with these kids. They opened up a lot more this week and weren’t as nervous. They are the cutest things ever and I want to take them all home with me. And I didn’t think I’d ever enjoy teaching. I tried the education route while in college and I did not like teaching in public schools.  But I really like teaching these kids. I get excited when they understand what I’m showing them. And I love that they like the same things I do: Hello Kitty, Hannah Montana, and cake.

Life in Naples sure is interesting. I really don’t even know how to put my feelings into words. I tried to describe my feelings through a drawing and I really wish I had a scanner so that you could see the beautiful piece of art I created (note: sarcasm). Instead, I’ll just describe it to you: I drew a landscape scene with grass, a pink and orange sun, a red dinosaur, and an astronaut planting an Italian flag. All familiar things, but not necessarily as they should be and definitely not where they should be. That is what life in Naples is like. It’s so right, but a lot of the time things are way different and usually don’t make sense, but it works.

Don’t worry. If you don’t get it, then I described it accurately.



No comments:

Post a Comment